Finally, I feel like we’re making progress! In fact, I have so much to share, I’m putting it in several blog posts to keep it all straight. 😁
So, last I left off, we we’re just starting on our leach field. I naively stated that “by the end of the week” we hoped to have a completed system.
It wasn’t that was hit any unexpected problems. It was more that the problems we did face we’re harder to overcome than we expected. Namely, we had no dirt with which to backfill the leach lines. It was mostly just rocks. So, we had to purchase and haul in dirt. Again.
But I’m getting ahead of myself.
First thing we had to do was dig the trench for the sewer pipe from the already buried septic tank, down the hill to where the leach lines were going to go.
Blessedly, Pops was on hand to dig once more.
My mom came to help, too!
We only ran into one huge Boulder which we just couldn’t budge with the small excavator we rented. But, a friend had a jackhammer that worked to get the boulder out of the way.
While we were working on the pipe, Pops was digging the trenches for the leach chambers. So once we got the pipe laid, it was time to bring down the chambers and start laying those.
We chose this system because the trenches only need to be 3 feet deep and no gravel is needed. And it’s very easy to put together. And handle. And transport. Etc, etc, etc.
Pajii finds a bit of shade inside a septic chamber 🤣
Leveling the ground in preparation for another chamber.
Once the chamber is in place, dirt is shoveled in on the sides to hold it in place. That’s where we ran into issues. We had trouble finding enough rock-free dirt to cover the chambers.
Digging the third and final trench.
Sometimes, the big tools had to come out to make the chambers level.
We got all three lines laid and partially buried, then had our inspection. Which we passed, no problem!
Now it was time to backfill.
But again, how to get the backfill material from the trailer to the pipe when you’re dealing with steep, rocky terrain?
If I never have to move sand by bucket again, I’ll be happy. 😉
And that’s it. A completed septic system. It felt so good to know that we have another huge portion of our build completely done.
So now we have a fully functional septic system. But of course, nothing is hooked up to it. We have dumped the trailer sewer tanks in there a couple times since it’s been done, and that’s been great. Not having to go into town to empty those is a blessing indeed.
But let me tell you, that first toilet flush in our new house is going to be magical.
Once we finished the septic system, we turned our focus to the inside of the house. Primarily, the floors. But that is another post. I want to get this one sent off into cyber space and get back to working on the house rather than writing about it.