We are scheduled for our slab pour in just two days! (“Lord willing and the creek don’t rise.”)
Its been a lot of hard work getting to this point where we are ready to pour (and there’s still some work to be done tomorrow.)
When I last updated, we had just started cutting the trenches for the plumbing and footers.
This looks like a complete disaster, but there really is some order to it.
This is the same area later that same day.
We put a call for help out on Facebook and a bunch of our extended family showed up to help with the shoveling.
Even Flower Girl was a huge help!
My brother manning the sifting station.
My sis-in-law lugging some buckets of dirt out of the forms.
We were able to dig nice and neat trenches for the interior footers.
Once we got the trenches all dug and cleaned out, it was time to start on the drain piping.
Our first completed branch line dry-fitted.
Once we had all the pipes laid out where and how they needed to go, we had a few days wait for our retired contractor friend to stop by and let us know how we did. He made a few suggestions which we followed.
While we waited for him, we made a good start on our septic system.
When we got the go ahead from our friend, we started gluing all the drain pipes and fittings together.
And bedding all the pipes in sand.
The girls had fun talking to each other through the pipes.
Then we had to test the system. This involved capping off all the pipes except this really tall one, then filling the whole system with water.
We only had the backhoe for a limited amount of time, so we got as much done with it as we could. Such as getting the water line put in across the driveway.
This line will eventually connect to an underground cistern which we will fill from our well pump.
I let Princess Girl try her hand at moving the backhoe around (with me right next to her, of course.)
We passed our under-slab plumbing inspection, and it was time to start backfilling. Again.
This time we needed to use sand to completely cover the pipes.
A good friend came by to lend a hand.
Flower Girl love playing in the sand.
She also found a way to go sledding in September. 😄
Once we had the sand over the pipes, we switched to using type 2 base and we were back to filling and compacting.
Once the pad was fully backfilled, there was just once last project to do with the backhoe before we had to turn it back in to the rental company. We needed to cut our footers for our garage and the trench across the drive to run electrical lines.
Then it was time for rebar!
Over the next several days we worked to get all the rebar finished in time for our inspection. We hit a couple delays, but managed to git ‘er done.
And that brings us up to our current situation. We had our inspection on Monday and passed with flying colors. Our concrete contractor was booked up till Friday, so that’s when we’re scheduled. We still have a couple odds and ends to take care of before we pour on Friday, so we’ll be taking care of those tomorrow.
So, Lord willing, we’ll have a finished slab by Friday evening! And let me tell you, it’s none too soon. The temps are dropping and freezing weather is just around the corner.
We’ve worked hard, but it’s exciting to see the progress. Hopefully when I update next the slab will be done!